Why I Started This Blog

I am a native of the Texas Panhandle and plugged into the hunting, landowner, and science community. There is a lot of mis-information out there....and it drives me nuts.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Rumor on Cats

There is a rumor that government agencies are releasing bobcats and mountain lions to control the deer herds in the Panhandle.  The Clarendon area seems to be the focus.

I assure you that no agency is stocking cats in the Panhandle.  Bobcats are faring well, here, in response to increasing brush density (canyons and Rolling Plains) and a lowered coyote population (mange, etc.).  They are even doing well in the High Plains where structure exits (abandoned houses), weedy  pens and equipment yards.

Agencies do not stock animals in areas where they are already doing well.  The fact someone should make this kind of rumor up - just puzzles the heck out me.  And, though males will take a few adult deer, and both sexes will take fawns, bobcats are not going to control deer populations.

TRUST ME!

I'll address lions in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment